Monday, December 5, 2011



Ginger Harvest

I decided I wanted to give ginger growing a try as I've been making candied ginger for about a year now with good results.  One of my store bought ginger rhizomes had a node growing from it, so I just cut it off and tossed it in an 18 in pot with good potting soil and let it go.  Planted in August, it didn't take long to sprout some above soil growth and then took off.  I had almost 3 feet tall plants that looked pretty nice.  It's now December and I know freezing temps will be on their way soon enough, so I harvested and this it what I got off one tiny node.  I'll definitely be growing much more next year.  I could plant a lot more in just that one pot and get a great little harvest.  Give it a try, it's ultra easy.  Tablespoon in the last pic for size comparison. 









No comments:

Post a Comment